Ora non è che vogliamo star qui a mollarvi il solito pippone filologico sull’artista brand new di turno, in fondo parliamo degli Homework, cioè, il 2011 ne era pieno, e ci auguriamo che tutti voi abbiate almeno una volta partecipato ad un party a base di Fissa Tune. Poi metti che loro stasera sono a Napoli in quel del Galleria 19 ospitati dai ragazzotti di PUC, e allora hai anche la scusa buona per leggerti una chiacchierata informale eseguita per voi a quattro mani, che poi diventano sei contando che loro son due, tanto per eseguire una manovra di warm up in attesa del party. Tutto naturalmente è levigato dalla superba arte dell’argomentare attorno al ‘più e meno’, di cui noi, che sul comodino abbiamo sì Tolstoj, ma in versione racconto breve da 108 pagine, siamo sopraffini artigiani. Da notare la deriva culinaria per stare sempre sul pezzo, come la migliore Parodi o, meglio ancora, la veterana Clerici.
1. Hi guys, as first act of our interview could you introduce yourself to our readers?
We are Zip Stolk and Tom Waist and together we are Homework, a Dutch producers and dj duo from Amsterdam.
2. What is the best compliment you’ve received so far?
While playing a party in Amsterdam-based club Studio 80 a girl flashed her boobs at us. She wasn’t totally shit-faced or anything; she did really mean it as a compliment. May not be the most distinguished way of expressing your love, but it sure as hell was one that left us in shock, haha.
2bis. complete the sentence: “our music is the best to listen to while making…”
Love. Or so we’ve been told. That was another great compliment. A girl told us she would always play our music when she had sex with her boyfriend. Yeah, it sounds weird. We know.
3. What is the story behind the name Homework? did you choose it because of that “Down with the homework” t-shirt? (Simpson quote)
We’re not nerdy enough to say we’re ‘down with homework’. Can’t imagine anybody being down with that. Unless they’re talking about us. Which would still amaze us, but digging house music is so much cooler than enjoying homework assignments.
4. What kind of ethnic food would you recommend to our readers? what kind of food fits bets the drunk-after-party need of filling up the stomach?
We would recommended everybody to eat at DUDU at least once in their life! It’s an amazing fusion restaurant in Berlin. They have a sushi called Crispy Tiger which is one of the best meals we’ve ever had. Best after party and/or hangover food? A Dutch ‘kalfsvleeskroket’ at local snack bar FEBO. Fuck cholesterol.
5. According to your bio on Exploited rec. site, your music is defined as something “that’s equally satisfying for your feet and brain”, is that because you put some subliminal message in your music or stuff like that?
Yeah, when you play our records in reverse you can hear satanic messages. Bill Hicks knew all about it:
6. How did the collaboration with Moodyman for I’m Into This come out?
It was our way of explaining our music making process and how we deal with music, while at the same time paying homage to one of our biggest idols, the great Kenny Dixon Jr.
7. If you had to pick one BIG GUY (not necessarily alive) to remix one of your tracks who would you take?
Just for the romanticism of it we would actually go for a dead guy, like Larry Levan or James Stinson. But there are so many talented musicians around right now, it’s hard to choose. Big or small, who cares, as long as they have talent. Detroit Swindle, Bicep, Julio Bashmore, our Exploited family, Gerd/NY Stomp, MK, Kyodai, Nicholas, Disclosure, just to name a few…
8. Aside from the project “Homework”, how do you invest your time? Do you make parties? Do you produce other djs/musicians?
Every once in a while we organize a party in Amsterdam at various locations. But most of our time goes into producing music and traveling to perform in other cities around the globe. We’ve been asked to produce for other artists but have never really felt comfortable to do so. Don’t think we ever will. But never say never.
9. According to you what is the track you would play to make people definitely go crazy during a party?
Come join us when we’re in the neighborhood to play, we’ll show you ;-)