Abbiamo fatto una chiacchierata coi Punks Jump Up a quasi un mese dall’uscita del loro nuovo video insieme a Dave-1 dei Chromeo. Si parla di un po’ di cose, dei Fare Soldi, di Dave Guetta e della loro top 3 del momento.
1) Hi guys, how are you? Introduce yourself to our readers
Hey everyone, we’re David & Joe & we make up Punks Jump Up !
We’re fine thank you ! Glad to be here.
2) Asking to an artist “Oh why did you choose this name?” is really really lame. But why “Punks”? Did you make punk music wearing Doc Martens and studs in another life?
We love punk rock ! Punk is our roots in a way. David grew up a punk, maybe not with studs & Dr Martens (well OK maybe for a little while) but the attitude & energy of punk have always been with us. Joe was more into hip hop originally but got into punk early too. The name actually comes from a hip hop song. We choose it because we liked the name & we were really into hip hop at the time. it summed up what we’re about & people remembered us by it so we kept it..!
3) Ok, let’s be serious. Listening to your music from your early works to the last one, it’s obvious that you have a wide range of influences, from Clash to Prince to old school hip-hop (according to your Myspace page). How do you translate this into the music you make?
We feel all these influences boils down to the same thing, passion & energy. Clash had brilliant songs, attitude & looks & have been hugely influential to us, Prince had amazing songs & a great variety in his music, hip hop (well the early hip hop) was full of energy & Do It Yourself attitude which is very similar to punk. To us all these influences make perfect sense. We try to take these influences, update them & bring to today’s sound & style.
4) Recently you worked with Dave-1 from Chromeo, for “Mr Overtime”. How did this collaboration grow up? Is he always the most tallest dude around?
We know this guy called Bjorn Yttling who is the bass player in the great Swedish band Peter Bjorn & John, he is an old good friend of ours. We played him the demo of Mr “O” & he liked it a lot & we finished the writing the song with him. Bjorn knows Dave1 & he played him the track & Dave1 loved it, in his own words: “it’s dope!” & he agreed to sing on it, which he did & now the track is out there for everyone to hear. We are, of course, very happy!
Yes he is the tallest dude around! Along with Joakim, Todd Terje & Gigamesh.
Waow, that was weird and GREAT! It’s amazing to think that a song we wrote with no intention of getting big actually was played by David Guetta. You can think what you want about him & his music but he is open minded & picked up our song, that is cool with us!
6) You made tons of remixes and a lot of djs remixed your tracks, like our dear italian friends “Fare Soldi”. Did you really like their remix? (They will probably read that so try to be kind!). And after the joke the real question: Talking about that, what do you know about italian music?
We LOVE the Fare Soldi remix of Get Down…! Of course, otherwise we wouldn’t have released it. It’s full of energy, it’s punky, it’s funky & it’s FUN! We’ve been big fans of FAREEEE & have played their tracks in our sets for a long time. BIG UP PASTA !
7) Thank you for your time guys! Leave us with the Top3 of your favourite songs, and we hope to see you soon!
Thank you too!
Top 3 favourite songs is VERY hard but at this moment, May 10th 2012 these (among a lot of other tracks) are favs:
A.N.D.Y. & Vicente – El Barrio (Discotexas)
Adamski – I Like It (Attar! remix)
ARI – Don’t (Lifelike remix)
SEE YA SOON ! BIG UP FROM PJU/David & Joe